Honorary Patron to Staunton Tutorial Centre: Mr Gareth P. Lloyd, BA Hons, MSc, FMusTCL
Staunton Tutorial Centre’s Honorary Patron is Mr Gareth P. Lloyd, who was Headmaster of Ratcliffe College, one of England’s leading Independent Secondary Schools 2009-2017. Mr Lloyd supports the work of Staunton Tutorial Centre in raising pupil’s academic attainment and self-confidence. He particularly approves of the way the Tutorial prepares children for secondary school. Mr Gareth Lloyd, has been appointed as Headmaster of St John’s College, with effect from April 2017.
Mr Lloyd read music at the University of Exeter, followed by post-graduate studies in music and modern languages at the University of Cambridge. He taught as Director of Music at a number of schools, becoming a housemaster along the way and then moved into senior management. His last appointment was at Kingswood School, Bath, as Senior Deputy Head. He has continued his life-long commitment to learning through an MSc in school management and being awarded a Fellowship from Trinity College of Music; he is currently completing his doctoral thesis.
Feedback from new Tutorial Parents:
“You might be interested in some feedback. J. loves this course. He really enjoys the coaching in the tutorial sessions as it makes him feel like part of a special group. He relishes the challenge of the homework. He said that the tasks feel like puzzles to him – more like games than actual work. I usually have to chase him to complete homework but he’s now coming to me with his book, delighted to explain how he figured out the answers. He feels like a secret agent – an Enigma code-breaker!” from Mr Murphy
A reference from Professor Dr Ali Mobasheri (Associate Dean and Professor of Musculoskeletal Physiology) “I discovered Staunton Montessori and Tutorial in 2008. I registered my youngest child in the Montessori school and was impressed with the nursery, especially the dedication of the staff. The following year my eldest twin children received tuition for the Lincolnshire 11+ examinations and passed with a respectable score, thanks to the tutorials provided by Robert Staunton. Later Robert tutored my third child who was also able to pass the 11+ exam and attend her first choice high school in Sleaford. My youngest is now preparing for the 11+ and has started back in Staunton Tutorial. Robert has many years of experience in 11+ tuition, high success rates and is therefore highly recommended.”
“Dear Robert, Just a short note to express my thanks for my son’s recent assessment. In the short time you had with him you gathered a comprehensive set of results in different subject areas. The appraisal was thorough and presented a true reflection of abilities. I wish my school reports were as thorough and comprehensive as this. I value the time and honesty afforded to us and your realistic views and feedback regarding the 11+. It has been a worthwhile exercise for us to undertake to support our selection choices for secondary school. Thank you for your valuable appraisal of my son’s academic abilities. Kindest Regards, Mrs _”
Staunton Tutorial Centre: Services Provided:
Staunton Tutorial Centre offers the following range of subjects:
- 11+ tuition & intensive exam preparation for Grammar or Private School Entrance (also including the 9+, 10+ and 13+ exams)
- Academic Profile Assessments with either verbal or written feedback to parents
- Primary & Secondary exam skills tutoring, academic optimisation and study support (Key Stage 1-4)
- Development of general academic confidence and performance in Key Stage 1-4
- Preparation for scholarship exams for private schools
- Preparation for SATS exams
- ‘Get Ready for Grammar School’ sessions
- English GCSE
- Study skills and A Level exam technique – humanities and social sciences
- University Undergraduate mentoring and Post-Graduate supervision (Education and EYPS)
- Oxbridge interview techniques (Oxford & Cambridge Universities)
- English as a foreign language lessons for adults or children
‘To Tutor or Not to Tutor? That is the Question’:
Although some secondary schools will request parents not to have their children tutored, especially for the 11+, local private schools and some Lincolnshire feeder schools teach 11+ Reasoning skills as part of their curriculum. This means that children who attend Nottinghamshire or Leicestershire state primary schools are at an unfair disadvantage. By Tutoring in a small group and focusing on enhancing a child’s underlying academic performance and their ability to attain well in exams, at Staunton Tutorial we offer children sustainable benefits. An academic assessment is offered initially, usually in Year 4, to determine how a child may find preparing for the 11+. As the 11+ is a very difficult exam with very specialist content, it seems very helpful to give a child every possible prospect of passing rather than throwing them in at the deep end. Some bright children who are not tutored or prepared can make silly mistakes such as missing out a page or misinterpreting a question series and this can mean failure for them. Staunton Tutorial students who pass their 11+ go on to thrive in the stimulating and high quality environment of Grammar School.
- “In life there are a handful of people who are instrumental in the path we take, consider yourself [Robert] one of them in guiding our son to his next schooling chapter. We are very proud of him.” ~ From a local parent. (Tuition Centre)
- “Words of appreciation to the Robert Staunton Tutoring School We just wanted you and your team to know Sophia was successful in passing her exams! She enjoyed her sessions with you. Her confidence has grown tremendously using your techniques. She admitted some 6 months into your course that she use to be anxious at her primary school around tests but now she takes them in her stride and even secretly rises to the challenge!! Thank you. Mr & Mrs R.”
Staunton Tutorial Centre Teaching Suite:
The tuition centre was designed by Heritage Architects Marshall Sisson using Green Oak Timber Frame construction for sound ecological development.
Rural Renewal: From Crumbling Cattle Shed to Beautiful School
Children usually attend the tutorial in a small group. One to one coaching is available in special cases.
All teaching is carried out by experienced tutor, Robert Staunton, who trained as a teacher at the University of Cambridge.
Feedback from a Parents after the 11+ Exam:
“I simply wanted to thank you for all that you have done for Jack in preparing for the 11 plus and making it as painless for him and for us as possible. Regardless of the outcome Jack could not have been better prepared than he was … Thank you again” From a Year 6 Parent
‘Thank you Robert I couldn’t have done the 11+ without your help, love from A__ x (year 6)
I totally second that Robert, thanks sooo much for all you help and support. It’s not been the easiest road with my daughter and we have all very much appreciated your help so much! … It’s been very clear from the outset that you really care about the children as individuals and that is also very much appreciate by them and their parents; you are so kind and calm with them all! Thanks so much, Mrs T.’ (Year 6 mum)
” Dear Robert, I am delighted to tell you, J. has got a place at the High School. The Headmaster told us at the interview! He said J. had come in the top 25% in his exams and all the papers were consistent. He only got three wrong in the maths paper… Thank you so much for your help, I asked J. if he felt you had made a difference to his exams and he said definitely. He said you covered quite a lot of things that he had not covered at school and they were in the exam. So I think this helped give him an edge. I shall be contacting you nearer the time, for his younger brother to come and have extra tuition. I shall be able to start this sooner than I did with J. Once again thank you very much.
Staunton Tutorial Centre Pass Rates for the 11+ exam for Grammar Schools:
- 2009: 97% Exam Pass Rate ( Tuition Centre Cohort 35 )
- 2010: 100% Exam Pass Rate ( Tuition Centre Cohort 36 )
- 2011: 98% Exam Pass Rate ( Tuition Centre Cohort 44 )
- 2012: 95% Exam Pass Rate ( Tuition Centre Cohort 58)
- 2013: 96% Exam Pass Rate ( Tuition Centre Cohort 70)
- 2014: 94% Exam Pass Rate ( Tuition Centre Cohort 71) including one 11+ exam result of 100% and one of 99%
- 2015: 90%* Exam Pass Rate ( Tuition Centre Cohort 78) including two 11+ exam result of 100%
- 2016: 91%* Exam Pass Rate ( Tuition Centre Cohort 70) including one 11+ exam result of 99.6%
N.B. From 2015 the 11+ examination has changed and contains the new style GL papers with some intentionally original Spatial Reasoning material, making the exam slightly harder.
- Staunton Tuition Centre Term Dates and Schedule.
- Information about Tuition Ethos & Grading System for Parents.
- References and Testimonials from Parents and Children at the Tuition Centre.
Feedback from local parent:
“Thank you so much for the help you have given to my son this year…he has gained huge amounts of confidence, techniques and no doubt some valuable ‘learning skills and tools’ for later in his school life. I think that the mock 11+ exam at Staunton Tutorial was an extremely useful event for him and really helped him manage stress in the real exam as well as giving him some much needed confidence. I expect to be back next year with my daughter, B!” Mrs A
For information about Local Grammar Schools please see:
- Kesteven & Grantham Girls’ School – Lincolnshire
- The King’s School, Grantham – Lincolnshire
- Carre’s Grammar School – Northgate, Sleaford, Lincolnshire
- Keststeven & Sleaford High School Selective Academy – Lincolnshire
Feedback from local parent:
“Thank you so much for everything you have done for William – right from the start you very accurately assessed his needs, and his 11+ performance was as a result of your teaching. He loves his tutorials, and will miss coming to you very much.”
Feedback from children:
“Thank you for all your help and encouragement. I have enjoyed all my lessons.” From H.
“Thank you so much for helping me in the 11+, I couldn’t have got this far without you.” From J.
Scholarships to Private Day Schools:
Since the foundation of Staunton Tutorial tuition centre in 2001 a number of students have been awarded scholarships to Nottingham High School, Stamford, Ratcliffe College and other private schools. For more information about these schools and college scholarships please see:
- Ratcliffe College – Leicester
- Nottingham High School – Nottinghamshire
- Nottingham Girls’ High School – Nottinghamshire
Other Recommended Private Day and Boarding Schools:
- Oakham School – Rutland
- Oundle School – Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
- Stamford Endowed Schools – Lincolnshire
Feedback from Tutorial Centre parents regarding their children:
“J. flourished academically last year. I don’t know if he mentioned this to you – he received an excellent school report. He was the only child in his year to beat all targets set for him. There was a clear step-change in his performance. It might be a coincidence but I believe his Tutorial sessions with you helped build up his confidence and the problem solving techniques helped with his regular schoolwork. ” (Feedback from a Parent)
“My daughter was behind but is now catching up. She jumped 3 sub levels this year. Best of all, her confidence has grown. For me, that is the main thing.
My daughter received her report. She scored slightly above average for reading and writing but bang on average for maths. I was worried about her maths last year, so from where she was, to where she is, is good progress. She enjoys maths now and that is why we came to you, truth be told. We don’t expect you to work miracles in 45 minutes but we hoped you would give her a different view of maths, which you have. You made it less daunting and frightening for her and she has more confidence to think she can do. Thank you. School didn’t do that and still don’t but my daughter enjoys your tutoring and willingly works with me at home. I follow your guidance. School have noticed my daughter’s maths development and specifically commented on it.
We are also happy for my son. He has always enjoyed your tutoring too!! If either my daughter or my son were against coming, we would never force them. It would be counter productive but they love coming to Staunton! We wanted learning to be fun for them and hope it will allow them to develop free thinking skills. Exam success, of course, is great but ultimately we get through life most successfully if we use our brains effectively outside of exams too!!! You have helped nurture their confidence. It has been great to see. ” (Feedback from a Tutorial Centre parent.)